Haverhill's Historical Timeline

1086 – First mention of Haverhill in the Domesday Book.
1247 – William de Haverhill, Treasurer for Henry III.
1392 – Church given to Castleacre priory.
1480 – John Wagg built a farmhouse in the Essex part of Haverhill (later Vicarage).
1538 – Church revenues given to Thomas Lord Cromwell.
1540 – Church revenues revert to the King.
1551 – A petition sent to King Edward to remove Bovetown church.
1598 – John Ward buried in St Mary's Church.
1643 – Stained glass and statues in church destroyed by Dr Dowsing.
1656 – Manor House (now Cleves) built [extended].
1662 – Founding of Old Independent Church.
1663 – Sir Thomas Barnardiston created baronet 7th April.
1664 – Sir Samuel Barnardiston created baronet 11th May.
1667 – Great Fire of Haverhill June 14th.
1670 – Church restored to use after fire.
1715 – Old Independent Church built, altered in 1840, enlarged in 1875. [Now the church hall].
1765 – Another Haverhill Fire.
1766 – A further fire damaged Place House (Farm).
1768 – A severe plague caused 79 deaths.
1795 – The first organ since the Reformation introduced into Haverhill Church. Destroyed during restoration.
1809 – Edward Turner wrote 'Fair Haverhill' Poem.
1811 – Silk manufacture introduced.
1814 – Drabbet manufacture introduced.
1815 – The pillory and stocks last used in the town.
1821 – Haverhill Brass Band formed.
1828 – Strict Baptist Chapel built.
1829 – Market Cross and weighbridge removed.
1833 – A Quaker meeting house built in Quaker's Lane.
1836 – The first savings bank established.
1836 – Workhouse enlarged to house 280 persons.
1839 – Market Hill Chapel built.
1840 – The Infirmary was built.
1854 – The Haverhill Gas Company formed and works built.
1856 – The first steam power loom in the town introduced at Chauntry Mills.
1857 – A Corn Exchange built in Market Hill by W.W.Boreham.
1858 – A Penny Bank established.
1858 – Kemp & Sons opened Infirmary Silk Works.
1863 – Colne Valley Railway opened with a station near the Duddery.
1865 – Great Eastern Railway opened with a station in Wratting Road.
1865 – Prince of Wales public house built.
1866 – Junction Bridge / Sturmer Arches opened joining the two railways.
1867 – St Mary's Church undergoes restoration.
1867 – The Cemetery opened.
1871 – Eden Road built.
1873 – Vanner's Silk Factory built in Colne Valley Road.
1874 – The Methodist Chapel built. Enlarged in 1888.
1877 – Board Schools opened. Enlarged in 1879 and 1882.
1877 – Duddery Road built.
1878 – Haverhill Local Board formed.
1882 – Haverhill Industrial Co-operative Society formed in Peas Hill Slade.
1882 – Mains sewage disposal introduced.
1882 – Temperance Society formed.
1883 – Town Hall opened.
1883 – Drill Hall built at Burton End. Opened in 1885.
1883 – John Atterton's engineering works opened in Hamlet Road December 29th.
1884 – New Old Independent Church built.
1884 – Gas Works purchased by the Town.
1884 – Maypole Terrace named, May 1st, by Walter Scott. (owner)
1885 – Infectious Diseases Hospital built on Mole's Croft. Opened in 1887.
1886 – Police Station built in the Pightle.
1889 – New Corn Exchange built in Withersfield Road.
1890 – Sewerage works opened in Coupals Road.
1891 – West End Congregational Church built.
1891 – Footbridge built at Railway Station.
1892 – West End Sunday School built.
1894 – Haverhill Urban District Council formed.
1895 – Mineral Water Works taken over by Rudolf Ungless.
1897 – Waterworks opened with pumping station in Camps Road.
1897 – Co-operative Stores built. Drapery, furniture and boot store opened October 8th.
1900 – Recreation Ground opened.
1902 – Salvation Army moved to Chauntry Road.
1904 – Swimming Baths in Hamlet Road opened by Mr Simpson.
1905 – Post Office moved to Queen Street.
1910 – The King came to military exercises around Haverhill.
1912 – Urinal built in Station Road.
1915 – Taylor's Mill bought by Messrs. Hovis Ltd.
1921 – The first council houses built in Wratting Road.
1924 – Co-op Butchers opened in Peas Hill.
1925 – Opening of New Salvation Army Hall.
1930 – Open air swimming bath built. Opened May 1931.
1930 – Electric light brought to the town.
1934 – Post Office moved to the High Street.
1934 – Opening of the new Ex-Servicemen's Club.
1935 – Taylor's Mill replaced with a new Art Deco Mill by Messrs. Hovis.
1937 – Filtration & chlorination plant installed at the swimming bath.
1938 – Roman Catholic Church erected.
1939 – Public tennis courts opened.
1945 – Silk factory in Colne Valley Road converted into a brush factory.
1945 – Disused burial ground adjoining St Mary's Church conveyed to the Urban District Council.
1946 – St Mary's burial ground levelled.
1947 – Large modern bakery erected in Swan Lane by the Haverhill Co-operative Society.
1948 – Burton Coaches formed in April.
1949 – Grey Pulman Coaches opened at Christmas Maltings by Mrs G Burgoin.
1949 – Bakery opened.
1949 – Hill Crescent named.
1949 – Gas works nationalised.
1951 – Adoption of the Town Badge by the Urban District Council.
1953 – Children's playground equipment on the Recreation ground presented by Mr Bennett Whiting to mark the coronation of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II.
1953 – Badge of Office for Chairman of the Council given by the Chamber of Trade.
1954 – Cattle Market closed.
1955 – The Haverhill Urban District Council celebrated its Diamond Jubilee.
1955 – Scheme for the expansion of Haverhill bringing 5,000 Londoners approved in principle by the Ministry.
1957 – Opening of three new factories. Hille Ltd. (metals), Polak & Schwarz Ltd. and Pye Telecommunications Ltd.
1957 – Mason's chimney demolished.
1958 – Exchange of agreements for transfer of industry & population from London by London County Council and Haverhill Urban District Council.
1958 – Visit by the Minister of Housing and Local Government to open the Bumpstead Road Industrial estate.
1958 – New hall and shops built in Swan Lane by the Co-operative Society (Bigmore Hall).
1959 – New secondary modern school built.
1959 – The Chairman of the London County Council presented the keys of the 50th overspill house to a London family.
1960 – The Relief Road, later Ehringshausen Way, opened.
1960 – New secondary modern school opened officially on May 31st.
1960 – Sale yard Closes.
1961 – New proposals to treble the population to 18,500.
1963 – Building of Clements Estate begun.
1963 – Place Court comes into use.
1964 – The Mount demolished.
1964 – White Horse public house closed.
1964 – New council offices costing £60,000 opened by Mrs Evelyn Dennington of the London County Council.
1964 – Special census showed population of Haverhill stood at 7,239.
1965 – New houses built in blocks in Withersfield Road (Cambridge Way).
1966 – Building of Chalkstone Estate begun.
1967 – The railways, earlier earmarked for closure by Mr Beeching, closed on March 6th.
1967 – White Horse & adjacent sites sold for almost £100,000.
1967 – Colour television received officially in Haverhill for the first time.
1970 – Methodist Chapel rebuilt.
1973 – Council approve plans to demolish the Duddery.
1974 – The Ram public house demolished & Jubilee Walk begun.
1975 – Front of Old Vicarage removed (Cleves House).
1975 – Health Centre built in Camps Road.
1976 – First prisoners arrive at Highpoint prison.
1977 – Sainsbury's store opened in Jubilee Walk.
1981 – New electronic telephone exchange opened in Camps Road.
1989 – Shearman Court opened in Mill Road.
1990 – New Sainsbury's store opened at Hanchet End (Jubilee Walk closed and later taken over by Co-Op).
1996 – Southern bypass opened.
1997 – Police station & courthouse demolished (built in 1887).
1997 – Aldi's store opens.
2008 – W.H. Smith opens in High Street.
2008 – Cineworld complex opens on Ehringshausen Way.
2008 – Ellis' bakery closes in Queen Street.
2009 – Woolworth store closes in High Street.
2009 – Vitovis mill demolished to make way for the Tesco store and access roads.
2011 – Remains of carpet shop in High Street demolished to make way for Havebury Offices (since closed).
2017 - New Haverhill Retail Park opens September 8th on site of old Project Furniture site with Pets At Home being first tenant.

For further information please see the Haverhill & District Local History Group website here.